Monday, March 5, 2012

What to eat?


With GS, I've found that diet makes a HUGE difference in the way I feel.  There seems to be more info about what NOT to eat than what we can eat.  When I was diagnosed, I immediately changed my diet and immediately went into carb withdrawal.  I mean, the doc said to stay away from refined carbs, right?  Apparently, some carbs are OK, so I talked to a friend who follows the Paleo diet (kind of a caveman diet...very healthy, no bad carbs, blah blah blah).  Anyhoo, he (who come to find out has GS) was the one who told me that it's important to have a protein, fat and carb with each meal (or snack).  For instance, here are some examples of what I (try to) eat during a typical day:

BREAKFAST - oatmeal (carb) sprinkled with wheat germ (protein) and soy chai tea (protein/carb combo)  --OR--
     scrambled eggs (protein) with grated cheddar cheese (fat) and a piece of fruit (carb)
SNACK - half a grilled chicken breast (protein), apple (carb), slice of cheese (fat) --OR--
     yogurt (protein/carb combo) and almonds (fat)  --OR---
     a Clif Mojo bar if I'm in a time crunch or somewhere I can't make a snack
LUNCH - spinach (carb) salad with nuts (fat) and grilled chicken or tuna (protein)  --OR--
      grilled chicken breast (protein), hard boiled egg (protein), avacado (fat) and fruit (carb)
SNACK...see above
DINNER - whole grain pasta (carb) with shrimp (protein) tossed with garlic & olive oil (fat)  --OR--
     broiled salmon (protein) drizzled with olive oil (fat) & veggies (carb)
SNACK...usually a Kashi oatmeal raisin cookie :)

Here's the link for the Paleo info:

No comments:

Post a Comment